Skip to main content.

Art/Painting

posted by Ighlaf

Ighlaf
Art/Painting 1 of 5
April 10, 2024, 4:08 a.m.

I have a couple (tons) of art related questions. These are the current ones I remembered that aren't also part of a future postings in suggestions.

I was wondering a guesstimmate for current art practices in the game vs real world historical levels. For a lot of what I what I consider for my writing I end up going 1500's ish.

Is lapis lazuli based dye a thing in this setting? If so, who might produce it in the lands?

For eventually painting, would things be egg/milk/fat based, or getting into oil if my character could outright purchase paints?

Would it be acceptable for me to rp making pigments etc for painting?  Although tracking that without mechanical recipes would be interesting/terrible unless we had a range of painter's palettes the future of different quality. (My internet browser is totally not filled with art tabs having fun looking at natural pigment recipes, nooope.)

April 10, 2024, 4:08 a.m.
pilgrim
Re: Art/Painting 2 of 5
April 10, 2024, 1 p.m.

I have to admit that I'm still thinking about how art mechanics are going to eventually work, so I haven't gotten any of this sorted out. 

As you are genuinely our first artist PC in alpha, I'm completely open to hearing from you about how you'd like things to work, and your ideas about things regarding art. I see you posted some already and I'm definitely thinking about those!

If it makes you feel any better, I've been literally thinking of Ighlaf and adding in art abilities at least once every single day for the past week and a half (no exaggeration). :D So, hopefully Soon.

I'm going to respond to your other post with a bunch of the stuff I've been thinking about, so you and maybe others can weigh in.

April 10, 2024, 1 p.m.
Ighlaf
Art/Painting 1 of 5
April 10, 2024, 10:25 p.m.

I have to admit that I'm still thinking about how art mechanics are going to eventually work, so I haven't gotten any of this sorted out. 

As you are genuinely our first artist PC in alpha, I'm completely open to hearing from you about how you'd like things to work, and your ideas about things regarding art. I see you posted some already and I'm definitely thinking about those!

If it makes you feel any better, I've been literally thinking of Ighlaf and adding in art abilities at least once every single day for the past week and a half (no exaggeration). :D So, hopefully Soon.

I'm going to respond to your other post with a bunch of the stuff I've been thinking about, so you and maybe others can weigh in.

originally written by pilgrim at 10-Apr-2024 (18:00)

Thank you! I'm very excited reading those replies and appreciate them. :D No worries on the wait, in the meantime I want to make sure my winging the art is reasonable.

April 10, 2024, 10:25 p.m.
pilgrim
Re: Art/Painting 4 of 5
April 11, 2024, 6:48 a.m.

You can totally roleplay about it -- if it comes down to it and we want to add skills or abilities and you've been roleplaying some low-level crafting thing that didn't exist and your character ends up not having the abilities when we introduce them, we can help out by just making sure that your character has that skill now. Recently I did similar for another PC by giving them a combo ability and one point in another skill in order to support their crafting efforts. We're in alpha and a lot of the crafts aren't built out, so that kind of situation is a bit malleable. No stress! Have fun roleplaying about making pigments and painting pictures. :)

Whatever object you can find in-game is free to use in your roleplayed pigment-making, and if there's another object you want but can't find, putting in an idea about it would be the best thing to do (but no promises regarding turnaround for that).

April 11, 2024, 6:48 a.m.
Ighlaf
Re: Art/Painting 5 of 5
April 13, 2024, 6:24 p.m.

Awesome! That sounds helpful and neat, and I will def have fun :D

April 13, 2024, 6:24 p.m.