Skip to main content.

Cooking for the Crew

posted by Fadila

Fadila
Cooking for the Crew 1 of 1
Jan. 29, 2024, 5:55 p.m.

Date: ------- Location: The galley of the Greenest Dolphin

Fadila feels lonely sometimes as she cooks for everyone. She enjoys having the crew stop by and talk but she knows they're busy. Bread stores are dwindling and she needs to make more bread. Her latest fishing venture has failed dismally. So many people have met her and they are interesting so she invites people for a chat while she performs the task.

(Fadila):

(Belhajj): It might be the creaking of the ship, or it might be the grumbling of Belhajj's stomach as the mountain of a man dips into the galley. "Hello." He says sheepishly. Clutching a massive slab of phonolite to his chest in order to fit through the door, Belhajj finds an empty seat by the trestle table, lays out his pad of indigo fleece, and balances the stone upon it with all the care and attention of a parent looking over a well-behaved toddler. "Making more bread?" He asks, a tinge of hope coloring the question as he watches Fadila work.

(Halima): Halima walks in soon after Belhajj's question and settles into a seat nearby his own. "Hello there, friends!" She says with a wave, peering over the table at the kitchen. "Making bread?" She asks Fadila in an unwitting echo of the earlier query. "We could always use more of that, with such a hungry crew." She grins before glancing aside at the phonolite. "Would it be rude for me to poke this?" She asks Belhajj curiously. "The sound is rather interesting."

(Belhajj): Smiling at Halima's arrival, the massive man watches her approach, jumping, not in fright or discomfort or surprise at the question of -poking- but in excitement. "No, no, not rude at all. The sacred singing stone is for singing!" He nearly bellows, a notch too loud for the close-quarters of the galley. Shifting, he grabs the stone, bringing it into his lap, flat-face towards Halima. "Like so!" He demonstrates, slapping a massive palm down onto the stone. A resonant tone tinkles and rings from within the stone. Somewhere between the metal chime of a heating stove and the giggling whisper of soprano singing, the sound of the stone fills the galley. At the height of the ringing noise, Belhajj sings, a drawn, yowling tune of phrases in his native Ruzur. As the noise diminishes, so too does is tuneless tune. "Your turn!" He says excitedly, grinning at Halima.

(Fadila):

(GM): OOC: Fadila just rolled luck and cooking, coming up with 81.

(Fadila): Crouching by the hearth Fadila notes the entrance of Halima and watches Belhajj with the stone. Slapping more bread dough down she smiles. More bread for the crew is more bread for us too. She sings a short tune, soprano voice filling the cramped galley. "Its so dingy down here." She looks up toward the deck where the crew work, "not that I'm complaining after all." She continues to Belhajj, "That is an interesting stone you have." But she still looks warily at it.

(GM): OOC: Fadila just rolled luck and cooking, coming up with 61.

(Halima): Halima squints at the stone for a few moments, tilting her head to one side then the other as she analyzes it. "Hm..." She reaches out her hand and knocks on it a few times, producing a similar but notably quieter sound than when Belhajj slapped it. "Sounds like a smithy. I used to pass by one on my way to work in Alheri." Apparently satisfied, she straightens in her seat and nostalgically watches the shadows cast by the flames of the hearth. "That smith was such a character, I tell you what..."

(Belhajj): Squinting thoughtfully, as if to hear a distant sound, Belhajj listens intently to the rapping of Halima's knuckles. From her comment, he attempts to mimic the knocks, quiet than he had at first. "I could hear..." He muses, his thoughtful look replaced abruptly by a childish grin, crooked and broken teeth visible behind his greying beard as he laughs a good, clean laugh. "Fantastic what we all hear!" He declares "So different for each, personal..." he comments proudly "This is how you know it is sacred." He decides.

(Fadila): Looking over with A wary glance at the stone, Fadila slaps more bread on the table. I don't know who ate it all, she thinks herself before saying so out loud. But it's very strange how so much bread disappeared overnight. She looks to Halima and Belhajj and says I'm sure neither of you ate so much bread? She teasingly winks at both of them. I've been trying to catch fish as well, and I have a few but it's not as successful. She's size building up the hearth again for as she has been chattering, the embers have been flickering and it looks like there's quite a bit of ash in the heart. "Oh I have to clean it again she says we are really I think the problem is that there are just so many people on the ship now. What do you both think?

(GM): OOC: Fadila just rolled luck and cooking, coming up with 97.

(Halima): "The crew is rather large," Halima agrees. "Adding the passengers onto that number makes things even more crowded. I'm sure keeping them all fed can be an uphill battle!" She turns away from the hearth and gives Fadila a sympathetic smile. "I'm used to having a lot of people around, though. This ship is like home, in that regard. If it was a bit less damp and the ground didn't move so much, I might find it charming. Perhaps it will grow on me as our journey continues." She looks doubtful about that last part.

(Belhajj): "I am not fond of boats." Comments the large man, his bearded face a-glower. "I worry about the stone sinking, lost to the sea. So I keep to inside and away from the edges. The ship is small enough without limiting oneself to the center cubit." He says with a sad laugh. Shaking his head, a smile returns to his face as he looks over at Fadila "I will admit to eating perhaps more than is normal for smaller men." He says, a sheepish look on his face "But I have not night-eaten in many years."

(GM): OOC: The scene fades to black.

Jan. 29, 2024, 5:55 p.m.