Skip to main content.

The Story of the Rats

posted by Briddim-rhua

Briddim-rhua
The Story of the Rats 1 of 1
Jan. 30, 2024, 6:57 p.m.

Date: The Night of the Snowfall ------- Location: In the Galley

Snow is falling, and a hush is occupying the ship. Rhua seeks out Halima, softly saying her name from room to room. The incident with the rats and the dead man is weighing heavily on his mind.

(Briddim-rhua): Finding Halima for a moment, Rhua beckons her over away from the din of the galley.

"I take no pleasure in dissecting the grim memories that you bear. But I wish to avoid catastrophe on this ship, and I believe you have been closer to whatever that fell power that stalks us is. What can you tell me, if you can bear it, of what befell you?" Rhua looks slightly ill and haggard.

(Halima): Finishing the last of her bread off, Halima regards Rhua with a dubious expression. "What befell me...? Oh, the rats." She gets up from her table and follows him away from the raucous bout of singing taking hold amongst the sailors. "It was... far from pleasant, but I don't know about them being a 'fell power' as you've put it." She glances at him again, taking note of his condition. "I hope you aren't planning on going after them by yourself. It's far from a habitable place, as you might imagine. That's not even taking into account the swarms of diseased pests that lie within..." She grimaces. "But I can answer some questions. What did you want to know?"

(Halima):

(Briddim-rhua): Rhua hunches his shoulders, and scratches idly at a sore on the back of his forearm. Some hair is beginning to spill from beneath his turban, giving him a wild aspect.

"I know not from where you come, nor the size of the rats there. But in all my days, I have never heard of a man overcome and killed by rats who was not already half-dead of starvation, and resigned to his fate. I suspect, deeply, foul play here. Whether a demon stalks us, or a more fleshly foe, I know not, but you are the one I know closest to these matters. Please, from the beginning — what did you see of the dead man? What drew you to the bilge? Did you see anyone else? How were the rats behaving? This mysterious...disturbs me deeply. Do you have any enemies on board?"

(Halima): Leaning against a nearby wall, Halima takes some time to put her thoughts together. Although she's clearly trying to hide it, remembering the event is difficult for her. "I didn't see the body myself, but I spoke to a man that had. Almat, I think he was called. Anyway, he mentioned the body was found in the hold, had been chewed on, and was damp." She scrunches up her face briefly. "I remembered that the crew quarters were wet, so I went searching there." She pauses for a moment as a pair of crew members saunter by throwing vivid insults at one another. Once they'd passed, she continues her story. "There were some loose planks in there that led to the bilge compartment, and I made the foolhardy decision of jumping through them into the darkness." Her expression grows taut. "It smelled about as bad as you'd guess. The rats had made a home of it... with all the nastiness that entails. I was not immediately beset by them, but as I journeyed through the darkness I fear I may have... corralled them into a corner. Not something you want to do with a swarm of frightened rodents." She runs her hand through her hair, taking a deep breath. "I tried to fight them off, but... it was dark, and I was outnumbered. They overwhelmed me, bit me, dragged me down under the surface... I lost consciousness. Some kind soul braved the danger to pull me from the water, though who exactly they were I haven't yet learned. I was resuscitated by the physicians, and told I had nearly died." Her expression grows grim. "It's likely the dead man had a similar experience, without someone to rescue them. I can... empathize with how awful that must have been. I do wonder how their body managed find it's way out of there, though."
Her eyes grow vacant for a time after her lengthy recounting, eventually focusing back on Rhua. "And no, I've no enemies here. That I know of, anyway."

(GM): OOC: Halima just rolled will by itself, coming up with 58.

(Briddim-rhua): Rhua's eyes gleam. His fingers drum briefly on the table.

"You are brave, cousin. That much is clear. Tell me...can you show me where these loose planks are?"

(GM): OOC: Briddim-rhua just rolled composure by itself, coming up with 18.

(Halima): Halima frowns slightly. "Brave is one word for it. Some might say negligent, or foolhardy, would be more fitting descriptions of what I did." She shakes her head. "But I am alive now, regardless. That's the important part." She peers at Rhua for some time as she considers his question. "The planks? Why do you want to know?"

(GM): OOC: Halima just rolled acuity by itself, coming up with 15.

(Halima): Halima scratches at her head, appraising Rhua for a time before shrugging. "I suppose you have a right to know, if only to avoid it. Someone else could tell you anyway." She squints at him. "You seem intelligent enough to realize this, but don't go in without some skilled fighters. I believe a few people have gone in to kill some of the rats, you could ask them what they saw. They had a lot more light than I did when I was down there." She gestures to the south. "It's in the crew quarters. The loose planks are off to the side of some of the hammocks, you can't miss it. Just follow the smell... and the squeaking."

(Briddim-rhua): Rhua stands abruptly, and looks down the long hallway of the ship through the door to the galley. The boat rolls slightly, and the hanging lanterns lean at surreal angles. Rhua sucks in breath and lets it out slowly.

"Thank you, cousin," he says at last. "This is all...very good to know. Be safe." He makes a sign of blessing over Halima, and walks quickly out of the room.

(GM): OOC: The scene fades to black.

Jan. 30, 2024, 6:57 p.m.