Skip to main content.

Cooking Demonstration

posted by Fadila

Fadila
Cooking Demonstration 1 of 1
March 9, 2024, 6:33 p.m.

Date: For the next day or two ------- Location: The Greenest Dolphin, Galley

Fadila is about to demonstrate her sausage cooking technique

(Fadila): Walking to the hearth to the pile of Bilgerats Fadila says to those interested, "Gather round if you want to know how this is done." "I will warn you this is going to be bloody work." Nodding to the first corpse she says with a smile and a deep breath, "You need to make sure your knife is sharp enough to cut through the muscle." "If your butchering isn't up to scratch you will not be able to butcher well." "I do mess up as I have just learned to do it." "But you will have failures at first. Taking out her knife she wields it, crouching down to be at eye level with the corpse. "Do your best though and whatever you have you will use." "Now this depends on the offal you want to use, but I'll discuss that in a bit." She makes the first insicion cutting away the head and going down the center of the corpse." "I'm no tailor." She says, "So the pelts I just put in the crate." "This technique can be used on all kinds of animals, but I work with what I have." "Here we go." She continues cutting as she talks, "Making sausage requires this step, either that or you must get the meat and offal from someone who has some skill." Stepping back she observes the work.

(GM): OOC: Fadila just rolled finesse and butchering, coming up with 55.

(Inaya): Inaya gives a small, amused smirk at Fadila's words, hanging back some, quiet as ever. She's a good listener, at least, even if she looks frankly puzzled at what's being shown, her gaze stopping on the pile of dead bilgerats, then the one Fadila works with. Her head tilts, curious, eyes narrowing in concentration as she follows the knife's movements.

Then, hoarsely as ever, she asks, "Is it harder, to do when the creature is smaller?"

(Fadila): Addressing Inaya Fadila nods, "Yes it is hard work indeed." "Sometimes you don't do so well and you don't get every bit of the meat you are butchering." "So sometimes you have leftover offal which must be disposed of, since it rots quickly." She smiles and says, "There is allot of different parts of offal you can get from one animal but as you say one slip and you are more likely to ruin the corpse you are butchering." She nods then taking time to explain as she works.

(GM): OOC: Fadila just rolled finesse and butchering, coming up with 33.

(Firouzeh): As an ever-eager student, Firouzeh mimicks Fadila's cuts. At first, she is slow to the process, eyes heavily focused on her instructor. "Large animals are much easier to work with. Small fowl were the bane of my existence when I was doing preparations for my restaurant," the elder complains, continuing the work. After a while, she falls into something of a familiar routine, cutting and slicing with ease.

Once content, she steps away from the table to inspect the parts she has managed to lay out. "What's next?" she asks Fadila, a warm smile lingering on her features.

(GM): OOC: Firouzeh just rolled finesse and butchering, coming up with 59.

(Fadila): With a nod to Firo Fadila says, "Yes small animals are hardest." "There." She says as she finishes the last corpse, "Let me talk about offal." "If you butcher well you get intestine, bone, bladder, brain, liver, tongue, meat, and pelt. "this is where you can choose what offal goes into the sausage." "Dispose of what you don't want." Taking a battered mug from a whicker basket she explains, "Since we don't have fresh water salt water also works." "Once you've disposed of the pelts and the ofal you don't want, and yhou only need one kind." "Then wash your intestine well." Demonstrating the technique of flushing out the intestine with the salt water she continues, "You need one piece of meat, one bit of offal, one intestine, and one pinch of salt." "So lay your ingredients out after you've begun washing your intestine." "Keeping things clean is needful in this type of work." "I myself prefer either livers, or lungs or tongues." "I don't like brain that much but if you want a creamier smoother textured sausage then, you might want the brain." "the livers have more of a gamey texture, lungs are more bloody." "So it depends on your preference." Once she's washed all of her intestines she selects a few livers, some meat, and lays out a few pinches of salt. "This part goes a bit quicker."

(GM): OOC: Fadila just rolled finesse and cooking, coming up with 62.

(Inaya): Inaya gives a quiet little grunt, whether amused, discomfited, or only paying attention, it's difficult to tell as she watches Fadila. Then, after a few beats, she smirks faintly. "I have seen all of these things, sayyida. Brain, bladder, liver, tongue, guts. But never thought of them when I saw them for their taste or their texture, or choosing one over another."

She goes back to only watching, then, quiet again.

(Firouzeh): Firo is not precious in her movements as she begins the work of flushing out entrails. One end is filled with salt water, creating a bubble which she works down through the intestine as instructed. Once done, it is laid out on the table. Careful consideration is given to her next task, withered and bandaged hands hovering over the different offal options. Eventually, she plucks a liver and a piece of meat from the selection, placing them dutifully next to her cleaned intestine. Everything in its place.

The elder remains relatively quiet during the instruction, nodding occasionally and throwing in a few 'mhm's here and there.

(GM): OOC: Firouzeh just rolled finesse and cooking, coming up with 130.

(Fadila): "Chop the meat fine now." Fadila says chopping the meat fine with the knife, mincing the meat well. She nods then selecting the liver chopping this as well. "Once you chop the meat and offal get your salt ready and mix it with the meat and offal, make like a ball f meat." "the salt will draw out moisture ad season the food a bit." She salts the meat working the finely chopped meat into a paste. Once she has it in a ball she pulls off a small chunk working it into the intestine. "We're almost done." She says cheering on Firo and nodding to Inaya and anyone else who might be interested. Careful with this step now. She says pushing the meat carefully down the intestine, squeezing gently to make a more smooth sausage rather than a lumpy one, "This is important." "Fill it too much and the sausage splits as you cook it." Once she's done she ties off the sausage. Poking a small hole she places it over the fire so the steam can get out. "You want to poke just a small hole, so it doesn't swell." She turns the sausages over confidently as she works watching each cook. "And thats how to do it." "You can season them again once they are out of course, with salt or other herbs you deem useful." Wiping her hands Fadila says, "And that my friends is how to make sausages."

(GM): OOC: Fadila just rolled finesse and cooking, coming up with 82.

(Inaya): "I think," Inaya rasps with a small smirk, "I will keep leaving to you, the making of them. Mine would not be nearly so good. But it is good to see your skill." She glances between Fadila and Firo, with one of her tiny, acknowledging tips of the head. "I was a knocker, once. Camels, and bruul. That, I think, is as close as I come to what you do." The smirk grows a fraction, and she shrugs.

(Firouzeh): "I was never very good at the filling part; always had lumpy sausages," Firouzeh recalls with a laugh, doing her best to follow Fadila's movements with the seasoned meat paste. Eventually, she works it into something passable, which she turns over a few times in her hands before tying it off.

The Irzali elder then leaves the actual cooking to her instructor, cleaning off her hands with a content smile as she patiently waits for them to finish. Once the sausages are evacuated from the flames, she moves to help with the plating, arranging them as best she can on the singular galley table. Not really a proper place setting (or anything close), but they are at least moved properly away from the pile of eggs.

In a sweet, shaky soprano, a shout rings out through the ship, announcing, "SAUSAGES ARE READY!"

(GM): OOC: Firouzeh just rolled voice by itself, coming up with 17.

(GM): OOC: The scene fades to black.

March 9, 2024, 6:33 p.m.