Skip to main content.

Internal Emotes (as an alternative to THINK and FEEL)

posted by Yeshev

Yeshev
Internal Emotes (as an alternative to THINK and FEEL) 1 of 7
April 6, 2024, 1:28 p.m.

So there's been some talk about using THINK and FEEL to document your character's motives, especially when they are being adversarial or duplicitous. (I'm intentionally leaving TELLs out of this post, because I'm only focusing on things that don't broadcast to the room.)

I love that THINK, FEEL, and REMEMBER exist. Sometimes I use them a lot. Sometimes I barely use them.

I use THINK sometimes to work out what my PC is going to say before he says it, or for bits of throwaway dialogue that don't need to clutter up everyone's screen. But I don't always use it to document the motivations behind WHY my PC has said something or reacted the way he did, and I don't for two reasons.

1. Whereas the length of my emotes vary depending on the pacing of the scene, and the writing style of my partner(s), I still fall very squarely into the "improv acting" camp from the earlier discussion about emote lengths. When I'm inhabiting my character and roleplaying well, I'm reacting as him to the things happening in the moment. THINK and FEEL sometimes go out the window, because I'm trying to maintain a certain pace, and also because writing a narrator's view is a little immersion breaking for me.

2. The other reason I don't use THINK and FEEL in many circumstances is simply because they're the wrong verbs. Human thought is complex and personal, but unless we're trying to work out something language-related, I don't get the sense that many of us think in grammatically-correct English sentences before doing something, and FEEL can be similarly clunky. I'd be a lot more inclined to use FEEL if the verb was IS, or DO, or even WONDER. Which is why I'd love to see a command like IMOTE, that functions identically to all the other EMOTE commands, but only echoes to the player and to the staff. Here's some examples of what I'm talking about.

<<a tense conversation that Yeshev isn't a part of concludes>>

say (dryly) Well. That was pleasant.

think I'm not terribly interested, but I'm going to make a pithy remark and see how people react, because I do that all the time. (This documents the rational, but it isn't a believeable thought, and strikes me as bad writing.)

feel disinterested, but not above making a pithy remark to see how people react. (This isn't terrible to me, but it did take far too long to figure out how to match the rest of the words to the verb FEEL, which has the side effect of making me think about my RP instead of just RPing. Also, it leads to a log dominated by You feel, blablah, You feel, blahblah, You feel.)

imote isn't terribly interested, but that won't keep him from making a pithy remark and seeing what happens. (This, for me at least, is much more elegant and easier to write without dropping out of character)

imote doesn't have a horse in this race, but he's not going to pass up the chance to glean some information (Same, and even harder to parse into a THINK or a FEEL).

This has been something I've been thinking about for a while, but wanted to open it up for wider input/discussion as opposed to just filing it in the IDEA wishlist.

April 6, 2024, 1:28 p.m.
Ariziya
Re: Internal Emotes (as an alternative to THINK and FEEL) 2 of 7
April 6, 2024, 1:36 p.m.

So...you can do freeform feels like this:

feel /Stupid. He's been so, so stupid/ 

Which will read as 'Stupid. He's been so, so stupid

You can then use that for dreaming, wondering, wishing or whatever. I rarely 'feel angry' or whatever, I'm all about that freeform waffle. I also rarely use think for this particular PC for some reason, though I sometimes work it into my freeform feels: feel /Stupid. He's been so, so stupid. Does she think so? He's not sure. Probably though./

April 6, 2024, 1:36 p.m.
pilgrim
Re: Internal Emotes (as an alternative to THINK and FEEL) 3 of 7
April 6, 2024, 2:06 p.m.

Can totally make IMOTE work as command for this, I'm all about making internal documentation easier for players in any way. If anyone's got any other such suggestions, feel free to add them to this thread too. Thanks for the topic, pof Yeshev.

April 6, 2024, 2:06 p.m.
Yeshev
Re: Internal Emotes (as an alternative to THINK and FEEL) 4 of 7
April 6, 2024, 2:57 p.m.

I would personally love this!

Also - PoF Ariziya's post about using freeform feels solves a chunk of my issues already. Thanks for pointing that out.

The problem is that I had no idea that functionality even existed, and I'm not sure how I would from reading "help feel", so maybe that can be updated as well?

April 6, 2024, 2:57 p.m.
pilgrim
Re: Internal Emotes (as an alternative to THINK and FEEL) 5 of 7
April 6, 2024, 2:58 p.m.

it's at the very bottom of help feel, but we can definitely edit that to be more understandable, because the example of the interior narration (unlike all the other examples) is not shown.

April 6, 2024, 2:58 p.m.
Yeshev
Re: Internal Emotes (as an alternative to THINK and FEEL) 6 of 7
April 6, 2024, 3:25 p.m.

Ah! I see it now. I am sometimes guilty of not always typing MORE.

But yes - my earlier request for an IMOTE command still stands, especially since the freeform feels don't allow the targeting of other characters/objects, and it's something I'd be stoked to include in my RP.

April 6, 2024, 3:25 p.m.
Esfandiar
Re: Internal Emotes (as an alternative to THINK and FEEL) 7 of 7
April 6, 2024, 5:22 p.m.

I just want to point out as an aside, in case it's not commonly known, that THINK and FEEL both take parenthetical phrases just like SAY does. I use them a lot in some of these cases, as in,

THINK (wondering vaguely in the back of his mind, distracted from the action around him) Do we have any cheese left?

THINK (earnestly praying) O God please let there be some cheese left.

THINK (musing wistfully) What if there were a God of cheese, who created all the cheese just by dreaming about cheese?

FEEL (suddenly, and to a degree that almost alarms him) desperate for cheese.

FEEL (defensively) absolutely fed up with cheese, if it's not going to be around for him then he isn't going to be around for it.

This doesn't cover every case, but in the example:

feel disinterested, but not above making a pithy remark to see how people react.

Another option might be

FEEL (without real interest) like making a pithy remark to see how people react.

It does insert clauses in a place in the sentence that they probably wouldn't be if you wrote the whole thing from scratch as prose. This could be a dealbreaker for some, I suppose. For me personally, I'm accustomed to it and it works pretty well. A lot of what is interesting, to me, about using THINK and FEEL is in experimenting with what the sentence constructions imply, and how we tend to express ourselves. As in the above example "feel like" is an idiomatic expression that means "want to" (more or less), which is fairly far removed from a more obvious and strict interpretation of the verb FEEL as expressing a direct "emotion" such as happy, sad, angry, etc. Yet using it as above creates a perfectly viable sentence. I enjoy fooling around with constructions and interpretations to challenge myself to articulate what is in reality quite elusive and perhaps impossible to capture, which is the experience of thinking thoughts.

That said, I'm always pleased to have more different types of tools to use!

April 6, 2024, 5:22 p.m.