Skip to main content.

Buying Things From NPCs

posted by Esfandiar

Esfandiar
Buying Things From NPCs 1 of 2
April 15, 2024, 9:23 p.m.

Could we possibly have a "are you sure you want to buy a sapphire dragon with diamond eyes blessed by a monoceros?" accept phase of purchasing from shops?

I've been fooling around with trying to get appraise to target various things I am trying to buy, and it is very inconsistent whether or not it will "see" the object I'm trying to refer to. Also, the syntax "appraise thing" causes the clerk to tell me the price, which is not that useful since I can see the price with LIST. Sometimes "appraise thing in case" will allow me to see the appraisal printout I would get if I were holding the object, which is super helpful, and something I would like to be able to do before buying anything. Most often, though, the latter just produces "You don't see what you're looking for."

So I guess my question is, are we intended to be able to appraise the things in the shop as if we were holding them? If not, could we get that option? If so, could the syntax be made more explicit (preferably in the helpfile for BUY)?

Edited to add:

Okay, I figured out why the "appraise x in y" was failing - there are multiple ys here and the xs are spread among them. Wondering if that is a mechanical choice or an aesthetic one? It seems a little clunky to have to figure out which container something is in before you can look at it closely. But if that is supposed to be an immersive thing, I will try to get used to it. ;D

April 15, 2024, 9:23 p.m.
pilgrim
Re: Buying Things From NPCs 2 of 2
April 16, 2024, 8:10 a.m.

These ideas totally make sense, but I will discuss them with Mistsparrow because a lot of the way shops work was due to that Unwritten Legends vibe we were going for. I remember initially there was some uncertainty when I put in LIST/WARES in addition to being able to look at the display cases and appraise for the price (I just made LIST/WARES because that's what I'm used to having, and it's so convenient that it feels practically necessary to me by now...). 

I'm confident we'll figure out a way to balance the perspectives though. (And maybe we can even make it so you can compare items in your hand to items in the shop!)

Just wanted to reply so you knew this was seen. :D

April 16, 2024, 8:10 a.m.