Skip to main content.

Symptom and skill thoughts

posted by Ighlaf

Ighlaf
Symptom and skill thoughts 1 of 2
April 17, 2024, 10:43 p.m.

I was reading a physical ailment post and had some thoughts on it.

Are there any afflictions that effect stats or skills?  An idea I had was the ability to purposely decrease rolls set with afflictions/symptoms and chronic conditions, or for characters to decrease rolls purposely.  Or for sneaky characters to choose to be worse at something than they are like setting languages to less proficient speaking.

Some of that may benefit from shorter lived symptoms and effects being paired. An example, a skill or stat decreased for 5 minutes after a wave of nausea kicks in. (wishful thinking, linking a symptom triggering with a skill use.) 

This led to a further thought of a character being able to fake only having one eye for whatever reason, which has me thinking of blindfolds or a close eyes command to ignore all but speech. Mechanically my character couldn't bandage their undamaged eyes, but someone might want to fake an injury. Is diagnose influenced by trust levels or is it just the first aid treatments?

April 17, 2024, 10:43 p.m.
pilgrim
Re: Symptom and skill thoughts 2 of 2
April 24, 2024, 10:40 p.m.

I've been thinking about this a bit, about the idea of setting something lower for the purposes of being sneaky. For languages I think someone should just pretend by putting in language-sounding gibberish (they'd need to have some know-how of how to do that, assotateum). But purposefully failing dice rolls is I think something that we can put in, though I'm not sure it need to be connected to affliction mechanics. That said, there are definitely afflictions that decrease stats. It'd probably also be helpful to have a help file with a list of common afflictions (not rare, specific sorts of Find-Out-In-Character afflictions that should probably be in a medical tome read by a physician character), something that clarifies what kind of effects you can add as symptoms with AFFLICT, and so on.

Also, regarding blindfolds, I've been thinking about that for a while too! A few weeks ago there was a mini-plot (that was rumored on the forums, so everyon heard of it) where a couple PCs got mugged. I was thinking about possibilities of where that plot could go and I realized that even if someone gets K.O.'d, they still see every step that they're being dragged. And I don't know if I want to change this exactly because it's useful to be able to respond with emotes while unconscious, and we want to preserve that capability for players. But it might be even more useful to be able to blindfold and gag people (so they can't see, or call for help) while mugging them. And then you wouldn't necessarily need to inflict potentially-mortal injuries either (there was an earlier case in-game of someone slamming another person's skull just to K.O. them so they couldn't talk). It'd be better to like... put a sock in it, literally, in a case like that -- maybe. It'd still be nice to have a knockout move... 

For last questions:

Diagnose isn't influenced by trust levels, but someone could keep themselves covered if they were capable of doing so.

Using afflict/inflict isn't considered faking injuries. Those would be very real, story-wise, something that occurred behind the scenes but just as "real" a part of your character's story as getting injured on-screen. 

I think someone faking an injury could be covered by roleplaying about it. Diagnosing might reveal that the injury is fake, but that seems kind of realistic.

April 24, 2024, 10:40 p.m.