Skip to main content.

Life occasions: birth, marriage, death, etc.

posted by Marwa

Marwa
Life occasions: birth, marriage, death, etc. 1 of 4
March 21, 2024, 8:28 p.m.

Could we learn more about any traditions or customs that might be associated with important life events in the Sirdabi Caliphate? Namely childbirth, marriage, and funeral customs, but other things too if they are relevant. For example, birthdays! Maybe they aren't "momentous", but are they celebrated? Do people celebrate a "coming of age"? Are there any customs akin to ancestral remembrance or ancestral veneration, or is that not really a thing? Are there bare minimum standards for ceremonies that should be met to be considered "proper", especially with funerals?

I saw that Mistsparrow had provided some related information as part of a larger discussion in this thread, which is what piqued my curiosity!

Since the caliphate spans so many cultures (and containing scope might be an issue with my very broad topic, sorry...) I personally was hoping to learn about Sirdabi and Azadi practices, since they seem to be the dominant people and religion respectively. But of course, any and everything that can be expanded upon would be eagerly read! Thank you!

March 21, 2024, 8:28 p.m.
Mistsparrow
Birthdays and Coming of Age 2 of 4
April 3, 2024, 6:30 p.m.

I don't know if you saw this on the wiki, but if not this may help a little: Life in the Sirdabi Caliphate. This does apply largely to Azadi and therefore Sirdabi cultural practices.

It doesn't have anything about birthdays, though! Birthdays are certainly celebrated throughout the caliphate, though this is somewhere that traditions would definitely vary extremely widely even within Sirdabi culture. The most typical ages for birthday celebrations are at three or four years (when a child has survived many of the greatest perils of early childhood), seven or eight years (typically when a child starts to take on more responsibilities, including the proper observance of Solitary), and sixteen years (when a youth is considered close to an adult). Celebrations are usually a combination of festive good cheer with a more solemn acknowledgement that the child is now moving into a different and steadily more adult phase of life. There is usually some kind of special food involved, the singing of songs, and often small gifts as well.

Coming of age events are even more important, unsurprisingly taking place in the years of early adolescence. This is another area where traditions can differ hugely, between rural and city and nomadic cultures, between rich and poor, between traditionalists and the more modern-minded, and from region to region. Wherever these events are observed however -- and that's nearly everywhere -- it's always the case that these youths are considered to have made an irrevocable transition from childhood to the first stage of adulthood, and their behavior is expected to change accordingly. Usually this means conforming more closely to the stereotypical roles expected of women and men in behavior and dress (though of course this also varies), and a growing concentration on mastering adult skills. Many young people receive a gift deemed suitable for one entering on adulthood, such as a weapon for a male, or a set of implements for cooking or sewing for females. Among the Sirdabi both men and women often receive a jambiya at their coming of age.

This definitely does not answer all your questions but I hope it gives a tiny bit more to work with for the time being!

April 3, 2024, 6:30 p.m.
Marwa
Re: Life occasions: birth, marriage, death, etc. 3 of 4
April 4, 2024, 11:08 a.m.

Oh my god... I have no idea how I either missed that section of the wiki or just mentally glazed over it. (Cue: palm to face.) Thank you for providing the link!!! Super helpful, especially with regards to views on death and funerary practices. And thank you so very much for the additional details on birthdays and coming of age! Much appreciate your time and patience in the face of my bumblingness.

April 4, 2024, 11:08 a.m.
Mistsparrow
Re: Life occasions: birth, marriage, death, etc. 4 of 4
April 4, 2024, 3:13 p.m.

Pfft, missing one section of the wiki is hardly bumbling. I'm sure it could use much better organizing at some point, and it's possible you even last looked at the page before I'd added a lot of that information. Either way I'm glad it's helpful! If you have any other questions please feel free to post more. I will get back to them eventually even if I am usually ridiculously slow. :toolbox:

April 4, 2024, 3:13 p.m.