Skip to main content.

Razmani Poetry

posted by Yasin

Yasin
Razmani Poetry 1 of 2
July 11, 2024, 12:32 a.m.

Hullo!

I'm trying to learn more about (from http://songofavaria.com:8080/mediawiki/index.php?title=Razmani):

"They do however have a great love for epic poems that tell the stories of legendary Razmani heroes from ages long past. Recitations of these poems are often accompanied by the uztigi, a native instrument similar to a lyre."

Is there any place on the wiki to learn more about "legendary Razmani heroes from ages long past"? Or, I wouldn't mind taking a spin at getting creative and writing some, but are there any guidelines we should consider? What sorts of things might these heroes have done? From the relatively mundane such as settling the land, conquering the cliffs, and carving out the canyons, to something more... fantastical? How long ago are we talking? Long before the Great Dark?

In short, I'd love to have an array of these to draw from for inspiration or story-telling or anecdotes! So looking for guidelines on what might exist orrrrrrr what I could invent and contribute to existence.

Thanks!

July 11, 2024, 12:32 a.m.
Mistsparrow
Re: Razmani Poetry 2 of 2
July 11, 2024, 3:52 p.m.

The Razmani epic poems are true fantastic-historic sagas in the manner of Beowulf, the Poetic Edda, or even the Iliad/Odyssey or the Mahabharata. As such, they tend to deal with truly heroic themes tempered by a wealth of real human detail -- women and men struggling against great foes, terrible monsters, strange magic, and the forces of gods and elements, but grappling equally with themes of love, duty, filial piety, leadership, ageing, and sacrifice.

Most of these poetic sagas are very old, dating from long before the Great Dark -- in fact, they are so old that many of them seem to have little to do with anything that constitutes present-day Razmani culture. These very ancient epics include stories about Saghran Strongarm, a great warrior and leader; Yurza the Queen of Thieves; and various tales about wondrous objects and their creators (one of the best known of them being a magic mirror that creates the effect of invisibility by turning aside the sight of nearby people, first possessed by Yurza but later featuring in other sagas). The settings of the sagas usually incorporate mountains and deserts but also include vast lakes, trackless marshes, raging rivers, and dark forests, and many of the great cities mentioned in them are described as being carved out from the depths of mountains.

There are also a few more recent poetic sagas taking place in a more recognizably Razmani setting, particularly those about the wily caravan leader Uznan and his valiant slave and bodyguard Binhashi; and also a cycle of poems centered on the heroically resourceful Sasinat, who worked great feats of engineering and magic to harness the waters of the desert and help found the city of Omrazir.

The later poems tend to have a lighter tone and to consist of numerous shorter episodes, while the early sagas are much more somber and quite long. However, even the long sagas would include certain shorter segments or discrete songs that are especially well known and might be recited casually by ordinary people, even if those sagas are generally only performed in their entirety by what are essentially "professional" historian-performers.

That's sort of the big-picture rundown of Razmani epic poems, but there would be a ton of different heroic figures of all stripes beyond just these few I've already thought up. So there would be lots of room for further imagination by players to flesh out the bones here, whether that's just PCs mentioning certain personages or incidents from the poems in passing, or players writing actual passages of sagas. So if you have any interest in that feel free! You're also welcome to OOCmail for any additional information or input.

July 11, 2024, 3:52 p.m.