Skip to main content.

Stat Mods

posted by pilgrim

pilgrim
Stat Mods 1 of 4
June 7, 2024, 12:36 p.m.

So, while the majority of stat mods come from effects and I don't plan to document all of them (since they can be seen ICly in DIAGNOSE output), there are some that come from more invisible sources that might be more confusing. These ones should be documented properly on the wiki, and be easy information to find when creating a character. 

But I'm also not completely sold on exactly what these should even be. So, here is where I'm asking for player input to help solidify this ruleset. For example, here's the rough set of stat mod rules I wrote up without giving it too much thought. 

• Long-Term Handicaps from Wounds, or the Impact of Ongoing Wounds
    • Internal Damages (Long term coincidental effects) -- note: this is for coded handicaps that happen in-game, but they could be requested if someone wants them for a background element
      • Heart issues: Endurance - 2
      • Stomach issues: Constitution -1
      • Internal brain scarring: Acuity -1, Intuition - 1, Logic - 1
      • Throat scarring: Voice -3
      • Badly-healed broken hands: Finesse -3
      • Bone warping in any other limb: Grace - 1, Strength - 1
    • Ongoing Wounds:
      • ​​​​​​​Severe head wound:  Acuity - 3, Intuition - 3, Logic - 3, Will + 1
      • Moderate head wound: Acuity - 1, Logic - 1, Intuition - 1
  • Chargen Choices
    • Weight
      • Weight above 350 pounds: Strength + 2
      • Weight above 300 pounds: Grace - 1
      • Weight above 190 pounds: Strength + 1
      • Weight below 100 pounds: Strength - 1
    • Height
      • Height below 48 inches: Strength - 1
  • Presence Investment in Character
    • Above level 5: Resonance + 2
    • Above level 3: Command + 1
    • Above level 2: Magnetism + 1
    • Above level 1: Resonance + 1

Any of this seem un-balanced, or any new rules that should be added? Looking forward to input before solidifying as documentation, because this was almost just a placeholder for the system without a ton of thought.

June 7, 2024, 12:36 p.m.
Kinsa
Re: Stat Mods 2 of 4
June 7, 2024, 12:43 p.m.

I feel like modifiers derived from size should generally even out one way or another. It's kind of odd to be mechanically rewarded for picking a character weight above the average- in my case it's because Kinsa's got a decent amount of fat on her, even if she is beefy as hell under that.

June 7, 2024, 12:43 p.m.
pilgrim
Re: Stat Mods 3 of 4
June 7, 2024, 1:31 p.m.

It's maybe worth mentioning here that smaller characters can fit into small places (more accessible exploration via the SQUEEZE command) but... maybe we add Finesse?

Although I'm sort of wondering if we should have chargen-defined stat mods at all; it might be best to let people build their characters however they believe makes the most sense for them.

Another of my thoughts is that the weight-based stat mods might be salvageable if LIFESTYLE settings on eating could impact gradual weight loss / weight gain.

June 7, 2024, 1:31 p.m.
Ighlaf
Stat Mods 1 of 4
June 7, 2024, 2:33 p.m.

It's maybe worth mentioning here that smaller characters can fit into small places (more accessible exploration via the SQUEEZE command) but... maybe we add Finesse?

Although I'm sort of wondering if we should have chargen-defined stat mods at all; it might be best to let people build their characters however they believe makes the most sense for them.

Another of my thoughts is that the weight-based stat mods might be salvageable if LIFESTYLE settings on eating could impact gradual weight loss / weight gain.

originally written by pilgrim at 07-Jun-2024 (18:31)

Under life style, activity levels for exercise was something I thought about. My character is regularly walkingclimbing well, everywhere, but their endurance never changes. The static part of that has me going hmm. I think penalties to size as far as strength bother me, but not people recieving gains in something for what they decided on. not knowing what those plus/minuses were before generation feels a bit odd.

I did choose strength amounts for what I imagined fit for my character, but maybe getting a free floating stat to one or two qualities would feel better than set negatives or positives. 

Last thought, a stat relating to fitness has a decay threshold over time that drops if reached not doing stuff but can be raised 1 if kept at.

(Tossing out ideas on my phone as I head back to work so rushed thoughts.)

How does squeeze work exactly? I had forgotten it was a thing

June 7, 2024, 2:33 p.m.