Skip to main content.

Jobs, jobs, jobs.

posted by Illi

Illi
Jobs, jobs, jobs. 1 of 13
March 27, 2024, 12:37 p.m.

So many questions about jobs.

Are there jobs we can't see due to incompetence/inability in a given skill? If we can see a job, can we get it?

Are there any ways to find about non-obvious areas of employment?

Do jobs affect reputation gain/loss? Could being a working member of society raise your reputation to a more tolerable level?

Do jobs have any benefits/drawbacks that might not be obvious?

Jobs.

March 27, 2024, 12:37 p.m.
Rostam
Re: Jobs, jobs, jobs. 2 of 13
March 27, 2024, 2:20 p.m.

One thing I know is that if you lack the skill to obtain a job, you automatically use dissembling when applying for it. So, you can definitely see and even obtain jobs you're unqualified for -- just be prepared to deal with the fact that you're a liar!

March 27, 2024, 2:20 p.m.
pilgrim
Re: Jobs, jobs, jobs. 3 of 13
March 27, 2024, 7:35 p.m.

I'm thinking that it might be helpful to change that automatic dissembling fallback to... only take effect if you put FAKE in the command, or something. Like FAKE APPLY? Or DECEIVE APPLY? Any suggestions?

Also, I think it might be useful to raise the bar for applications to jobs in terms of the various difficulties on the rolls, because I saw some feedback regarding how easy it was to apparently get any job on the gamehelp channel history.

Non-obvious employment: Right now, there's nothing like that, but there probably will be in the future -- especially about stuff like Shady Arts related jobs. For now, if you SURVEY in an area, or check JOBS, whatever's visible is basically all there is.

Reputation: Yep, certain jobs do give you some reputations, but it's usually related to job errands -- and I'm not sure there are any of those set up in St Loomis (though there may be). For example, in Omrazir, there's a job with an errand that gives you points in the "healer" reputation whenever you complete it.

Benefits/Drawbacks: It depends on the job errands. Some jobs might have errands that are more rewarding, in a players' mind, than others. For example, in Omrazir there's a messenger job that has multiple errands you can do per day. The pay is extremely low, but you can get tips per errand you do. So if you like busywork, that's a nice way to boost your income. Someone who doesn't have the job can't do those errands.

March 27, 2024, 7:35 p.m.
Sitra
Re: Jobs, jobs, jobs. 4 of 13
March 27, 2024, 10:14 p.m.

I definitely was rejected for a job I applied to. The one I did get was a more obvious choice, given my character's skills and stats.

March 27, 2024, 10:14 p.m.
pilgrim
Re: Jobs, jobs, jobs. 5 of 13
March 29, 2024, 2:39 p.m.

Here's a list of the currently-available jobs in St Loomis that are able to be publicly-viewed! 

[St Loomis, Seaglass Inn, Common Room]
 ------- Waiter : 200 coppers compensation
 ------- Cook : 500 coppers compensation
 ------- Errand runner : 50 coppers compensation

[Outside St Loomis, Lumber Camp]
 ------- Laborer : 200 coppers compensation

[Greyleigh Manor, Kitchen Yard]
 ------- Pig-tender : 300 coppers compensation

[Locale of St Loomis, Inside a Looming Beacon Tower]
 ------- Flamekeeper : 650 coppers compensation

[St Loomis Post Office, Postmaster's Office]
 ------- Scribe : 500 coppers compensation

[St Loomis, Silver Street Wagonyard, Wagonwright & Farrier]
 ------- Apprentice : 500 coppers compensation

[Locale of St Loomis, Between Cluttered Shelves of Hardware]
 ------- Apprentice : 400 coppers compensation

[St Loomis, Humble the Tailor's Shop]
 ------- Apprentice : 450 coppers compensation

[Locale of St Loomis, A Dumpy Old Clinic on Warehouse Street]
 ------- Nurse : 400 coppers compensation
 ------- Sawbones : 700 coppers compensation

[St Loomis, Compass Treats, Kitchen]
 ------- Baker : 500 coppers compensation

[St Loomis, Seaglass Inn Stables]
 ------- Hostler : 500 coppers compensation
 ------- Stablehand : 200 coppers compensation

[St Loomis, Church of the Blessed Wayfarer, The Base of a Narrow Spiral Staircase]
 ------- Custodian : 300 coppers compensation

[St Loomis, Symeon's Simples]
 ------- Apprentice herbalist : 325 coppers compensation

[St Loomis, Wayfarer's Rest]
 ------- Groundskeeper : 450 coppers compensation

[St Loomis, Seaglass Inn, Kitchen Garden]
 ------- Gardener : 450 coppers compensation

[St Loomis, Dimmock's Slaughterhouse]
 ------- Butcher : 450 coppers compensation
 ------- Laborer : 200 coppers compensation

March 29, 2024, 2:39 p.m.
Esfandiar
Re: Jobs, jobs, jobs. 6 of 13
March 29, 2024, 9:57 p.m.

How do you increase your employer's affection toward you?

Are any tasks (that may someday be) available with "work" the same as job errands?

Are there ways to indicate that you are slacking off/working hard for your employer to be aware of?

Edited to add -

Hmm, I just had the thought that my job is a bit open-ended in terms of how the job is to be completed, and I would love the opportunity to fill-in-the-blank to explain how my character is attempting to perform his duties. But I suspect that even for more straightforward employment, people might want the opportunity to describe their character's on-the-job behavior and manner. Just a thought!

March 29, 2024, 9:57 p.m.
pilgrim
Re: Jobs, jobs, jobs. 7 of 13
March 29, 2024, 10:26 p.m.

If your job doesn't have an NPC employer and is just overseen by a VNPC, then there's no way to raise affection. However, we're hoping to add in those NPCs over time -- along with adding in job errands, which are the tasks available with work. As we go along, we'll hopefully fill out the jobs that are currently available with real NPC employers and errands (as well as adding more jobs -- I haven't forgotten that someone suggested some warehouse labor jobs).

If your job does have an NPC employer, you can try to apeal to that NPC's affections the way any NPC would work -- different NPCs have various preferences. For example: most don't like it if you shout around them or use coarse language, but some might enjoy that, who knows. It helps to have some magnetism.

There isn't really any way to indicate slacking off/working hard -- this might be a good thing to add to lifestyle habits at some point, though...

Regarding the open-endedness, yeah that is totally fine. Was there something specific you had in mind, though, like some kind of... setting?

March 29, 2024, 10:26 p.m.
Rakim
Re: Jobs, jobs, jobs. 8 of 13
March 29, 2024, 10:33 p.m.

Possibly already exists and I've just missed it but some means by which to identify a room as a place where jobs might be available would be nice. I've been walking from room to room hitting 'jobs' in each one, which doesn't feel all that intuitive.

March 29, 2024, 10:33 p.m.
Esfandiar
Re: Jobs, jobs, jobs. 9 of 13
March 30, 2024, 12:16 a.m.

"Regarding the open-endedness, yeah that is totally fine. Was there something specific you had in mind, though, like some kind of... setting?"

Yeah, I was thinking of something like "lifestyle routine" but more like "work routine". Then I could maybe QUERY my boss, not necessarily for a hang out session, but just to have an admin read my "work routine" to see how my boss would react to that. Or something. I'm just shooting from the hip here. But it's what I'm picturing.

@Rakim - have you tried SURVEY? It doesn't seem to always know, though.

And CHECK WORK.

check work
You take quick note of your surroundings. As an inn, this is a workplace.

But you still have to be in the right room, so it's not that different from just using jobs, which gives you a lot more information.

March 30, 2024, 12:16 a.m.
pilgrim
Re: Jobs, jobs, jobs. 10 of 13
March 30, 2024, 4:21 a.m.

I'm wondering if it'd help to have a config option to show that line in the room... but this would probably only be useful for the narrow period in which someone would be job hunting.

There is one instance in which survey/check work wouldn't show you a line regarding the workplace, but I should be able to fix that -- I just have to make that line also be gated behind trait-checking, rather than just empty if I don't want absolutely everyone to be able to see it. :toolbox:

March 30, 2024, 4:21 a.m.