Skip to main content.

Not Quite a Ban

posted by pilgrim

pilgrim
Not Quite a Ban 1 of 4
Jan. 31, 2024, 6:42 p.m.

So, we disabled an account today. I wanted to clarify this situation because it's not really a ban; this person didn't do anything wrong, they just weren't a good fit for the game. But it is... effectively the same thing as a ban at this point.

Song of Avaria is a complicated, strictly-roleplaying game and having someone in the world who will constantly act out-of-character and isn't really playing to write stories isn't going to be something we will inflict on our current treasured group of players... who are roleplaying and writing stories. We don't want to be exclusive towards people, but at the same time, there are many non-roleplaying MUDs out there that are less complicated. We suggest that anyone having irreconcilable trouble with the concept of being in-role, IC/OOC separation, and/or having difficulty with writing a roleplay character in character generation, find one of those games to play. 

This shouldn't have any effect on any stories because this character wasn't on the ship yet. They would not have been approved due to not writing an actual character, and we were concerned about letting them get in-game at all because they claimed to have been turned away from other roleplaying games due to being too out-of-character.

Before disabling the account, I talked to this person in-game, making sure they understood our decision and suggesting this alternate course for them. They agreed and quit. Then I rejected the application and disabled the account, because I don't want them to come back and spam GameHelp again for whatever reason when I'm not online, and we're still in alpha so there aren't any coded measures against this sort of thing.

Hopefully the situation being clarified will help players not to worry too much about this event.

Jan. 31, 2024, 6:42 p.m.
Zahra
Re: Not Quite a Ban 2 of 4
Jan. 31, 2024, 6:51 p.m.

Thank you for your swift action with this (and for logging back in to deal with it even though you had RL things to do)! I think you did everything that could have reasonably been done to help this person and that this is ultimately a very good call.

Jan. 31, 2024, 6:51 p.m.
Rostam
Re: Not Quite a Ban 3 of 4
Jan. 31, 2024, 8:39 p.m.

I was online for most of this and fully support your decision. In fact, I'm really relieved and grateful that you continue to curate our community so carefully.

Jan. 31, 2024, 8:39 p.m.
Fadila
Re: Not Quite a Ban 4 of 4
Feb. 1, 2024, 11:15 p.m.

I thank you for your continued work in making sure this community is as intensely devoted to the story of Avaria. Having a group that is tirelessly dedicated to immersive rp is amazing. It makes the game a better place both icly and oocly. I can say I completely agree with whatever measures staff and community members have to keeping our community the best place in the mudding world. This above all is why i love it here so much. 

Feb. 1, 2024, 11:15 p.m.