Skip to main content.

SoA-Inspired Playlist?

posted by Marwa

Marwa
SoA-Inspired Playlist? 1 of 20
Feb. 13, 2024, 12:21 p.m.

While I was out of commission for well over a week, I ended up spending a lot of time listening to music and started organizing a little playlist for music I found inspiring for Song of Avaria! I like to put music on in the background for immersion while roleplaying, and seeing Zahra's thread for character-specific theme songs gave me the push to post this! :)

Some of my favorite pieces I've run across so far:

1. Light of Life (Ibelin Reprise) - Natacha Atlas (Kingdom of Heaven)
  2. Númenor - Bear McCreary (The Rings of Power)
  3. Wakanda - Ludwig Göransson (Black Panther)
  4. Welcome to the Desert - Maclaine Diemer (Guild Wars 2)
  5. Baba Yetu - Christopher Tin, Soweto Gospel Choir (Civilization 4)

If anyone else has music they find inspiring for SoA, I would love to hear them; I thought this might be a nice way to share!

Feb. 13, 2024, 12:21 p.m.
Rostam
Re: SoA-Inspired Playlist? 2 of 20
Feb. 13, 2024, 12:28 p.m.

At The Gates of Babylon - Antti Martikainen

Feb. 13, 2024, 12:28 p.m.
pilgrim
Re: SoA-Inspired Playlist? 3 of 20
Feb. 13, 2024, 12:55 p.m.

Awesome songs.

This might not quite fit the same vibe, but I was listening to the radio in the car the other day and it made me think of Avaria.

More Than a Love Song - Black Pumas

Feb. 13, 2024, 12:55 p.m.
Yasin
Re: SoA-Inspired Playlist? 4 of 20
Feb. 13, 2024, 1:15 p.m.

I wouldn't normally recommend this as SoA-flavored, (the "vibe" doesn't quite work), BUT given that we're all stuck on a ship in some very, ahem, dire circumstances, the "Return of the Obra Dinn" soundtrack (which, by the way, is an amazing little puzzle game) has been stuck in my head basically on and off since the day the mainmast cracked.

Soldiers of the Sea

The Doom

Feb. 13, 2024, 1:15 p.m.
Firouzeh
Re: SoA-Inspired Playlist? 5 of 20
Feb. 13, 2024, 3:32 p.m.

Not thematic, but something I ran across that gave me current SoA situations vibes. Mostly the lyric  "The wind told you something but you can't make it out" lmao. 

Strange Comfort - ENOLA 

I love throwing together playlists for whatever is going on/who my character is interacting with (everyone gets an unofficial theme song in my head) 

Feb. 13, 2024, 3:32 p.m.
Zahra
Re: SoA-Inspired Playlist? 6 of 20
Feb. 14, 2024, 10:18 a.m.

Thank you for starting this, Marwa! I don't have any songs to contribute at the moment but I'm super stoked about being introduced to some awesome new music!

Feb. 14, 2024, 10:18 a.m.
Marwa
SoA-Inspired Playlist? 1 of 20
Feb. 15, 2024, 5:49 p.m.

I wouldn't normally recommend this as SoA-flavored, (the "vibe" doesn't quite work), BUT given that we're all stuck on a ship in some very, ahem, dire circumstances, the "Return of the Obra Dinn" soundtrack (which, by the way, is an amazing little puzzle game) has been stuck in my head basically on and off since the day the mainmast cracked.

Soldiers of the Sea

The Doom

originally written by Yasin at 13-Feb-2024 (18:15)

Dittoing Zahra too - I love listening to all the music, so thank you everyone!! <3

Yasin - I absolutely love the aesthetic of that game! Will have to check it out. And on a similar but off-topic note, you just reminded me of AMC's (amazing) tv show "The Terror". Set in a very different time and place, but has similar vibes of survival mystery and horror of the stranded ship flavor, which our characters are enduring at the moment... o.o

A couple of music contributions to make up for my off-topic-ness :)

The Elephant King - Jeff & Mychael Danna (The Breadwinner)

Arvan Khoyor Jil - Khusugtun (I felt like some cultures described on the wiki had central/west-central asian inspirations, so am including this here!)

Feb. 15, 2024, 5:49 p.m.
Rostam
Re: SoA-Inspired Playlist? 8 of 20
Feb. 15, 2024, 9:24 p.m.

This isn't really thematic in terms of culture, but it just felt...right.

a classical mix for a prince building his empire (youtube.com)

Feb. 15, 2024, 9:24 p.m.
Rostam
Re: SoA-Inspired Playlist? 9 of 20
Feb. 17, 2024, 4:01 p.m.

So, I use www.novlr.org for my own writing, and today I discovered that they have a whole bunch of playlists on Spotify for different themes. None are particularly perfect fits for SoA, but I find their 'Building Fantasy Worlds' soundtrack to be really nice.

<oembed>https://open.spotify.com/user/novlr?si=c4232bec89594a13</oembed>

Feb. 17, 2024, 4:01 p.m.
Marwa
Re: SoA-Inspired Playlist? 10 of 20
Feb. 18, 2024, 1:59 p.m.

The Fantasy Worlds playlist is excellent! I played it while in a scene yesterday, and it lent just the perfect cozy writing atmosphere. Thank you for the recs, Rostam! :)

Feb. 18, 2024, 1:59 p.m.