Skip to main content.

Avarian Wildlife

posted by Yeshev

Yeshev
Avarian Wildlife 1 of 8
March 10, 2024, 3:06 p.m.

What types of animals (outside the ones listed in the diet-specific sections of the wiki) would be widely known and encountered, specifically on the Idiri continent, but also famous ones from the rest of Avaria that everyone's heard at least legend of?

Are there any well-known animals, that don't have direct real-life equivilants?

Conversely, are there any real-world animals we'd expect, that don't actually exist?

Could you give us some ways to fill in the blanks of these sentences?

As harmless as a _______________

Fierce as a _________________

Sleeping like a ______________

Deadlier than a _______________?

Thanks!

March 10, 2024, 3:06 p.m.
Mistsparrow
Re: Avarian Wildlife 2 of 8
March 13, 2024, 4:31 p.m.

These are some great questions! Sadly a lot of Avaria-specific creatures are not documented yet, but I have been working on adding some more to the wiki here: Natural History:Fauna

The new ones I've added are: iniki, minglefowl, monoceros, olliwag, and zharal. And now that I've listed them here, it seems like a terribly sad and small addition. WEEP. But I'll work on adding some more very common or else rare-but-well-known ones.

I can't think of any real-life animals offhand that don't also exist in Avaria, so when in doubt you can pretty much always refer to a regular old Earth animal and safely assume it exists (in the Avaria-appropriate corresponding region or environment). A great many mythological-on-Earth creatures also either definitively exist in Avaria or are at least rumored to. If there are any particular real or imagined animals you or anyone else might be wondering about, please just ask!

I also really like this list of possible animal analogies, so I'll give that some thought too. :toolbox:

March 13, 2024, 4:31 p.m.
Halima
Re: Avarian Wildlife 3 of 8
March 13, 2024, 4:50 p.m.

I always love reading about setting-specific animals! I saw on the wiki that something called a skeggit exists, what are they?

March 13, 2024, 4:50 p.m.
Sitra
Re: Avarian Wildlife 4 of 8
March 13, 2024, 5:09 p.m.

Looks like they just added a bunch of new animals to the wiki today! I just have to say that I'd like my character to be able to own one of these:

http://songofavaria.com:8080/mediawiki/index.php?title=Amunati_cat

The monoceros also sounds pretty cool.

March 13, 2024, 5:09 p.m.
Mistsparrow
Re: Avarian Wildlife 5 of 8
March 14, 2024, 9:17 a.m.

There is now a wiki page for skeggit!

March 14, 2024, 9:17 a.m.
Halima
Avarian Wildlife 1 of 8
March 14, 2024, 9:39 a.m.

There is now a wiki page for skeggit!

originally written by Mistsparrow at 14-Mar-2024 (14:17)

Awesome, thanks! Skeggits are now rivaling olliwags as my favorite Avarian animal

March 14, 2024, 9:39 a.m.
Esfandiar
Re: Avarian Wildlife 7 of 8
March 15, 2024, 6:29 p.m.

Zsimik 4 life!

March 15, 2024, 6:29 p.m.
Yeshev
Re: Avarian Wildlife 8 of 8
March 16, 2024, 5:30 p.m.

Thank you, for the response.

And also, thank you so much for including so many real-life things in your worldbuilding. I can't express how much easier it makes it to roleplay and be in the moment, when you don't have to constantly scroll through page upon page of documents every time you want to reference something commonplace, like a rabbit or a meal or a flower, because they all have different setting-specific names.

March 16, 2024, 5:30 p.m.